Search This Blog

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Dr. Weil Interview

In David Kupfer's interview (Vital Signs, 2011) with Dr. Andrew Weil, he investigates Dr. Weil's approach and thoughts on integrative medicine. I found the article very interesting as it reinforced beliefs I already had. In the interview, Dr. Weil talks about the "human need for altered states of consciousness." I remember learning about this in introduction psychology class. As a student with an alcohol and drug addictions (ADA) minor, in the past I have been interested in the contradictions between psychology and treating addiction. Dr. Weil mentions how the "strategies to eliminate illegal drugs are getting worse and worse." Obviously there is a problem with the current approach to controlling people using mind altering substances. We have been criminalizing people for a need that might be as important as love or safety. This current system is failing miserably. Legal practices and medicinal practices of our country need to change to better serve the people. I envision a successful nation that embraces an integrative approach to medicine.

I am eager to read Dr. Weil's books.

No comments:

Post a Comment