Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Vaccinations

Even though vaccines are obviously related to health care, vaccinations are not a well-covered subject in the text book. However, I found this story on NPR that interviews Michael Willrich, a man who wrote a book on the history of vaccinations. Specifically, the controversy surrounding the era in which the small pox vaccine (which killed over 300 million Americans in the 20th century) was distributed to Americans.

Did you know that thousands of people were forced by police and public health officials to get a Small Pox vaccinations at the turn of the 20th century? Some people were even threatened with guns. During the turn of the century people who contracted the small pox disease were dragged against their will and quarantined in what they called “pest houses” which were associated with death. These people were scared of what might happen to them if they got the vaccination.

This story is relevant because currently there is a growing controversy with vaccinations. During the turn of the century, the small pox vaccination sparked an anti-vaccination movement. The interview is very insightful into historical and current conversations about vaccinations.

Personally, I have never received a flu vaccine. I don’t like the idea of injecting the flu into my body and possibly still enduring flu symptoms. I will take my chances and have. If I ever get the flu (which is once every couple of years) it only lasts 24 hours or so. Somehow it feels natural; part of the process of life. That is what works for me. Even though it is possible that it is being extra cautious during flu season that prevents me from getting it. At any rate, Willrich talks about bodily integrity and freedom of choice (particularly related to health choices) in his interview with Terry Gross. I wholeheartedly subscribe to these concepts.

*Small pox was declared eradicated in 1980 and the vaccine is no longer given*

No comments:

Post a Comment